Amazon recently launched Sponsored Display, a new advertising unit that allows advertisers to reach customers both on and off of Amazon. The Sponsored Display ad type combines the old and familiar with some exciting new features. With the Sponsored Display ad type, you can still target specific ASINs, relevant categories and interest segments with headline driven ad creative as you would with Product Display ads. However, the exciting new feature with the Sponsored Display ad is the ability to retarget shoppers who have viewed a detail page off of Amazon ad placements.
Here are three important things to know about the new retargeting feature in Sponsored Display ads:
- No custom ad creative is necessary to run Sponsored Display audience retargeting ads. Ad creative is auto-generated and pulls components from the detail page such as the product image, price, star rating and Amazon badges to create the ad creative.
- Sponsored Display audience retargeting ads can be shown on ad placements off of Amazon. Through direct inventory from Amazon Publisher Services and third-party ad exchanges, Sponsored Display retargeting ads can be found on ad placements across many popular sites on the internet.
- Sponsored Display audience retargeting ads target shoppers who have previously viewed detail pages but haven’t purchased yet. The average Amazon shopper in the US spends 5-16 days between the initial search and eventual purchase. Sponsored Display audience retargeting ads allow advertisers to re-engage with shoppers off of Amazon and drive them towards a conversion.
Additionally, Sponsored Display audience retargeting ads allow advertisers the ability to retarget shoppers off Amazon much like Amazon DSP. However, Sponsored Display audience retargeting ads don’t require extensive resources to create customized ad creative or define custom audience segments. Also, unlike Amazon DSP, there isn’t a high minimum monthly ad spend to run Sponsored Display audience retargeting ads. With Sponsored Display audience retargeting ads, advertisers have a quick and simple solution to advertise products off Amazon.
Consider some strategies to test out with Sponsored Product audience retargeting ads:
1. Use Sponsored Display audience retargeting ads together with Amazon DSP
With minimal resources, advertisers can use Sponsored Display audience retargeting ads to promote their full product catalog off Amazon. Using ASIN performance data from the Sponsored Display audience retargeting campaigns, advertisers can determine which ASINs perform well so they can add them to Amazon DSP and promote with additional custom creative, audience and placement controls.
2. Use Sponsored Display audience retargeting ads to promote deals or ASIN with badges
Sponsored Display audience retargeting ads will showcase any badges associated with an ASIN in the ad creative. Advertising ASINs with a ‘Deals’ or ‘Amazon Choice’ badge will make your product stand out and drive Amazon ad placement traffic to your product detail page.
3. Use Sponsored Display audience retargeting ads to promote ASINs with high Average Sale Price (ASP)
ASINs with high ASP are very likely to have a longer conversion funnel and higher cart abandonment rate. It’s typical for high price point products to sit in digital shopping carts for days or weeks before the purchase is finally made. Use Sponsored Display audience retargeting ads to re-engage these shoppers who have viewed your product to drive them back to your detail page and finally towards a purchase.
Sponsored Display campaigns are much improved over the old Product Display campaigns. The targeting abilities allow advertisers to reach the right audience for your business both on and off Amazon. Sponsored Display is a great advertising tool to accelerate product awareness, increase consideration and close the sale.
Currently, Sponsored Display campaigns can be found in both Seller Central and Vendor Central accounts in the US market. Look for Pacvue to incorporate the new Sponsored Display campaigns into our tool during Q4 2019.